i'm highly infected/affected

Monday, October 02, 2006

Skype


I didn't even know what Skpe was, until I heard all the rumors of it being banned from San Jose State University. The way people were talking about it, it seemed a little suspicious, maybe even illegal. It sounded as dangerous as the unauthorized downloading of music for free.
Wikipedia states that Skype is a peer-to-peer internet telephone system. The system is close to the system VoIP. It was founded by entrepeneurs, Niklas Zennstrom and Janus Friis, who also founded Kazaa, a file sharing application. The system allows you to make free calls via computer (net) to others that have downloaded the system as well. The system has many features, including free voice and video conferencing. The system sounds like a helpful tool to sjsu students and faculty, so why would anyone want to ban it? The SJSU Skype Journal says that students and faculty are worried about the system causing unplanned budgets, unanticipated use of networks (causing networks to crash), and unknown exposure to various risks on master list. In my opinion, Skype sounds like a helpful tool. I would be able to save on my cellular bill and I would be able to communicate with others conveniently. Although I feel like Skype is a helpful tool, I would reccommend it's band from SJSU. The system doesn't seem fully tweaked, as in- some adjustments need to be made. Until the system could be guaranteed to be full proof (bug and leak free), I would say that Skype users try VoIP. Skype.com has a ton of information on what it's all about. I linked the website to this post.
  • skype website
  • 1 Comments:

    At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Skype *is* VOIP, isn't it?

    Did you try it?

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home