i'm highly infected/affected

Monday, October 16, 2006

Howard Stern


I've never really particularly paid attention to Howard Stern, and yet I still hear about him a great deal. I wouldn't say that I like Howard Stern, but I have to give him points for getting his name out in the media and for saying what he wants to say. Growing up, I would hear about Stern's ability to make a fool out of himself and make a fool of others. Yet Somehow, Stern has and always has had a large audience. It's probably because he says what he wants to say, even if what he says isn't always fair, right, or politically correct. I wasn't devastated when Howard was kicked off of television. I felt that he didn't deserve air time because I feel that what most of what he says has negativity to it. Although most of what he says is negative, he does always find and give an educated reasoning for what he says. Take his recent position on the death of the Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin. Stern shocked and angered his audience by saying that he wasn't sad, sorry, or surprised by Steve Irwin's death. Stern then defended himself by saying that Irwin's death was inevitable. Stern used the analogy of cops and firemen dying not being surprising, so why would a man who wrestled with crocodiles dying is surprising.
It is sad that Stern blatanly said that Irwin's death comes to no shock, but it does come with some truth. It seems as if truth never runs rampant in today's media, so when someone wants to tell the truth, an audience will surely listen. Howard Stern getting kicked off of television did not hurt him. He found a new home with satellite radio. He lost viewers, but he gained listeners. In fact, he gained so many listerners, that Sirius, the satellite radio network he's on, beat the ratings of the once highest tuned XM radio. Even though I particulary don't like Stern, I will still say that Stern is revolutionary with his show. He has tested the bounds of freedom of speech time and time again. He is a man who thinks outside of the box.
I found Stern's official website interesting. It basically gives feedback on his radio show.
  • Howard Sterns Official Website
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home